Friday, July 15, 2011

Two Little Boys



This song was in my head when I woke up this morning. I think I must be going mad. It’s saccharine nonsense, of course, but this was the first Number One single of the 1970s, and I remember hearing it on the radio when I was a boy.

‘Two Little Boys’ was actually written in 1902 by an American and refers to the American Civil War. You won’t find that reflected in this video, though, which mixes up the First and Second World Wars, plus a few others.

But if all this maudlin sentimentality proves too much, here’s a different take on the 1970s: Billy Connolly singing ‘Two Little Boys in Blue’, which contains the immortal lyrics:

Now the duty sergeant said, ‘Tuck the prisoners into bed
But before you take their cocoa through
Keep them in their cells and hit them where it tells
But don’t leave them black and blue.
You can kick them in their balls, bounce their heads off of the walls,
Bash them on the kidneys, too.
Beat them on the legs and thighs, but don’t give them black eyes
Or you’ll be a prisoner, too.’

No comments: