Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I want to be Azealia Banks

So, I didn’t win the Seamus Heaney Prize (I’m not sure the winner has been announced yet).

I was going to wallow in self-pity and post Jeff Buckley’s cover of “I Know It’s Over”, which I think gives Morrissey a run for his money.

Then I thought, No. Bring it on world. And I decided the video below better represented my current mood.

An odd thing happened when I watched this video for the first time. I sat transfixed throughout the whole thing, and afterwards I realised I didn’t want to “be with” (ahem) Azealia Banks, I wanted to BE Azealia Banks.

So there we are, the truth is out. I want to be Azealia Banks. (This is either incipient middle age or insanity. I welcome them both.)

Well, I never said I was normal. As Foucault once observed, we must all affirm our legitimate strangeness.

That, for me, is what poetry is all about.


*******POTTY MOUTH ALERT! *******


No comments: